Protecting My Mind

Like many others, I didn't initially take the whole corona thing seriously. That's until the Caribbean had it's first case. From then on I was on high alert. One of the things I quickly realised is that I needed to protect my mind - my mental health. I started getting extremely anxious whenever a live press conference was announced. I was overwhelmed by the constant flood of information in the media. I was also constantly agitated by what I felt were ignorant and selfish views aired on social media. I made a few adjustments to protect my mind.

1. Limit Social Media
Early on I made a decision to deactivate my Facebook since that was the social media app I used the most. It had become too much. I didn't want to constantly read all the opinions as I scrolled my Facebook feed. So knowing that it was a trigger, I removed it for the time being.

2. Tune into Reputable Pages
I followed pages like GIS, Mia Mottley, Nation News and Barbados Today on IG to keep updated on what was going on. I tuned out all the broadcasts going around and turned to those pages for updates on what was happening. I don't use Instagram regularly so I got to choose when I saw those updates and when I was okay with being flooded with COVID-19 news. 

3. Remain Positive
Finally and most importantly, I made a conscious decision to be positive and to change my perspective on what was happening. Firstly, I chose faith over fear. Then I chose to look at all the good coming out of this whole thing. I chose to look at my blessings and the fact that I am safe at home, in my right mind and able to still work and connect with my family and friends near and far. I am indeed blessed!

So, protect your mind in the midst of this crisis. Whatever steps you need to take, take them. 
We're in this together and we'll get through it together!


Comments

  1. Love it. I have been trying to keep consistent with the things I can, like working out or going for long runs. I have also decided to do things that I wasn't able to do before like read books that I was not able to get to before. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! Sounds good! It's a great time to catch up on things we didn't have time for before.

      Delete
  2. Yes it is imperative we stay grounded in this time, be mindful of what is going on, and be still know God is still here in the midst of it all. #GuardOurMinds

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three strategic tips. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts